Thursday, August 7, 2008

Momentum 2008

Yes I know. It's been a long time since I've updated this blog. Well, it might be about time that this gets retired into blog-cemetary together with the passing of adolescent dreams and short-lived hype. Then again, I guess I'm still...

' 18 and life to go... '
~Sebastian Bach (Skid Row)

Pressure-tight datelines and high-speed chase began with this graceful dance festival. Momentum 2008 was Republic Polytechnic's 1st dance festival. Not that I love to dance, but when something needs to get done, just do it! For those who knows me, I'm more of a fist-in-the-air and vertical-head-bopping kind of guy. :) Spandex and contortions feels like diarrhea.




I didn't think much about doing technical production coordinator for this at 1st. What else can go wrong in a air-conditioned playground which I visit more than my 18-month-old cousin says 'mum mum' on any given day. But the danger strikes at the unexpecting... (Looking back, I kinda enjoyed the torture. Like scratching an itch.)


We got sponsored LED panels as backdrop for the whole festival. It was great man! Added a different dimension to our conventional Theatre setup with black drapes. And the video effects was just simply amazing. Mind you, they actually saved some of the lacklustre dancers by distracting the audiences from the clumsy jerks(both the movement and the dancers)

Problems surfaced during setup, as usual. After a few years, I still believe that there’s no such thing as a smooth production. Our in-house flybars can only handle a SWL of 500kg. And as my Lady-Black-Luck loves me so much, she told the contractors that the SWL indicated doesn’t include the weight of the bar itself! Therefore, I’m only left with a miserable 380kg to play with. Thanks dear. According to the LED panel design I got, the heaviest load is 560kg. Therefore I had no choice but to convince the lighting designer to scale down his design.


As we all know, just 1 climax in a movie doesn’t make it a blockbuster. The next to hit me is that our dear Sunbear (Mr-Know-It-All) misread lighting plan and before I can say, ‘This Mama’s getting his ass kick from the inside out’, we went into a 9-hour rescue. And to add toppings to milo dinosaur, Sunbear claimed that Lightwright can’t print his lighting notes. Now think about it, why would someone build a house and not able to house anything? Simple logic.


Well at the end of it all, it wasn't that bad, considering the audience turnout hit an average of 80% for 2 shows. And I became part of Republic Polytechnic’s history. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hahah! Sunbear? So funny..

    Republic Polytechnic's history mehh? really? since when? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to finally see some movement here. (: me thinks it was a good production. well attended too, as you said.

    while u may hate the thought of being put through crazy situations like this again, it speaks volumes of your calibre. u did great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great I dare not man. What I did was uncomparable to the team. I'm the calefare who's not required to do much, but a standby scapegoat.

    ReplyDelete